Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Adventures of Doctor Flagellus Hurt

I've just finished what I consider to be my first "real" comic, and I'm pretty darn proud of it. This has been a three-week assignment, so here's the finished product, followed by the process.


So there's that. Ha ha penis.

Character development was the first step. We were given prompts in class to create a doctor character, and of course my brain screamed PIRATE, shortly followed by SPACE PIRATE, but then just back to PIRATE. Here's mine, the unfortunately-named Doctor Flagellus Hurt.



Then at the end of class we were told that our assignment was to write a comic about the character interacting with their worst nemesis, or someone that they could not stand. That's where the beefy fellow on the right comes in. I really like his name and I'm kind of disappointed I couldn't shoehorn it in to the final comic.

Next was this super-rough Photoshop sketch to get a feel for the layout and the story:



After receiving helpful feedback on the rough draft, the next step was making a tighter sketch. Unfortunately I haven't done math in more than two years, so I mismeasured and this is a good deal narrower than 6x9, meaning I had to re-draw it before I could ink it.



After more feedback from class and teacher, it was time to move on to the final.



I don't know what I'd do without Photoshop. This was only part of what was scanned in. I wasn't happy with the first panel, so I didn't finish it and instead redrew it on another piece of paper. I did the same with Flagellus's poses in panels 3 and 4, and cleaned up the smears since I make such a mess with ink and yet insist on using it anyway.



I called these pages "Flagellus bits" which sounds dirty. Basically this is where I redraw the stuff I'm not happy with and then insert them into the original.

I cleaned it all up and started to digitally color it, but decided I didn't like the look of flat digital color. So I made the process even more stupidly labor-intensive by markering in sections on a separate sheet of paper and scanning that in too.



The texture on these was a bit too streaky and distracting to use on their own, so I compromised and used them as a texture on the digital color, which I think I like.

And that's about it! Hopefully as I learn more about making comics I'll figure out how to do this in a more efficient way.

3 comments:

  1. love love love love love i am in love witchu! les get married by the sea! or married to the sea? either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, that comic is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete